If you are looking for the solution on how to transfer and install SSL Certificate to Another Account than you may find this guide helpful. Before we move into the main section of this guide, I am going to walk you through some basic idea of what is SSL and why it is so important.
What is SSL and why it is so important?
Basically, SSL(Secure Server Layer) is a very crucial component for websites, it was first introduced 1996 and Now days are commonly seen installed on almost every website. If you are on Chrome browser, you may be noticed that on the upper left corner just horizontal to the URL section in your browser, a little green colored lock with secured written is shown. This means that
The SSL certificate provides security while transferring data from server to a web browser. In 1999 the SSL Certificates was improved and changed into TLS(Transfer Layer Socket). However, the older name of the Certificate is more often used and popular.
Nowadays SSL Certificate is very important for websites because the websites which are not encrypted with SSL certificate are more vulnerable to hackers, not only that it also has been observed that SSL secured websites are more frequently ranked than the websites which are not encrypted by SSL.
There are many more benefits of encrypting websites with SSL Certificate which includes protection of voluble information from data tempering, eavesdropping, and message forgery.
Now as you know there are many different types of hosting server and the User Interface of the servers are somehow different than one another but they all have one thing in common, is its functionality,
The procedure to install SSL Certificate is almost similar even though the interface of the different server is unique. And For this guide, I am using Godaddy Linux Hosting and will be easier if you are also using GoDaddy hosting.
Follow the exact step by step process to transfer and install SSL certificate to another account, where your website is located.
Also check, top 10 best free WordPress blogging themes
How To Transfer And Install SSL Certificate To Another Account – Step by Step Guide
- First of All Login to your Godaddy hosting account and go to your Cpanel dashboard. Your Dashboard will look similar to the images given below.
2. Now next step is to find the SSL/TLS tool, it will be located in the Security Module, Scroll Down or Search the function directly by typing the SSL on the search option given at the top.
3. Now click on the SSL/TLS icon to go to the SSL/TLS manager where you will find options to generate your Secret private key and CSR code to install the SSL certificate on your server.
4. Now Click on the Certificate Signing Request (CSR) and fill up the required fields to generate your unique CSR Code. The Required Fields are
Domain | City | State| Country| Company| Company Division| email | Passphrase
(Input your primary domain where you want to install the SSL Certificate, don’t include http://, just type your domain in exact format i’e upintrendz.com)
5.Once you fill all the required fields next click on the generate button located at the end of the form. As soon as you click generate button your CSR code for the SSL certificate will be created.
6. You’ll need to copy the CSR code to rekey and issue the SSL Certificate, for now just copy the CSR code in your clipboard and follow the next step.
7. To rekey and issue your SSL log into your another account where you have purchased the SSL Certificate. there you have to go to the manage SSL Certificate section.
8. You’ll find an option saying rekey and manage. When you click on the Rekey and Manage section the following window will open,
9. Now Click on the rekey Certificate and paste your CSR Code on the given field, save it after that click on the button Submit all saved changes.
10. Your SSL certificate will be issued within few minutes, sometime the processing time may take up to 72 hours. But most of the time it doesn’t take more than 1 hour.
11. Once the certificate gets approved and issued, you have to download the certificate files and paste it on your server, where you have generated the CSR code. to do that follow further steps.
Now Extract the Downloaded file, Once you extracted the downloaded file you’ll see two certificates,
12. Now that you have your SSL certificate issued, you’ll have to paste both files on your server, where you hosted your website, to do that again log in to your hosting account and go to the Cpanel dashboard and then go to the SSL/TLS section, there you have to click on the Install and manage your SSL for your Site.
After that upload your files which you have downloaded and extracted. and save the setting. That’s it your SSL Certificate is Installed and your site is now encrypted and protected by SSL.
Hope you find the guide about how to transfer and install SSL Certificate useful
if you have any doubts regarding the guide or stuck somewhere, feel free to ask me, just leave a comment below and I will try to reply as soon as possible. Thank you for visiting.