Jose Gaia of Spain, Nicolas Gonzalez and Juaquin Correa of Argentina
– Photo: Social Media
listen to the news
listen to the news
Before the start of the FIFA World Cup, the title contenders are being hit by injuries. Till now many big players have been injured. The Argentina team, dreaming of winning the World Cup title after 36 years, suffered a major setback on Thursday when its star players Nicolas Gonzalez and Joaquin Correa were injured. Both the players are out of the World Cup. At the same time, Spain’s Jose Gaya was ruled out on Friday due to injury. In his place, Alejandro Blades, who played for Barcelona, was taken in the team. Three Argentine players have been ruled out due to injuries so far. Meanwhile, Senegal’s key player Sadio Mane has undergone surgery due to an injury and has been ruled out of the World Cup squad. Fiorentina striker Gonzalez suffered a hamstring injury during a training session, the Argentine Football Federation said. In his place, Atletico Madrid forward Angel Correa has been included in the team.
These players joined the Argentina team
The federation informed that Joaquin Correa has also been dropped from the 26-man squad due to a specified injury. The Inter Milan player will be replaced by Atlanta United forward Thiago Almada. Zuaquin also scored a goal in a 5-0 win in a friendly against the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Wednesday. The 21-year-old forward Almada will be the first MLS player to represent Argentina at the World Cup, according to his club. Almada made his debut for the national team in September in a friendly against Honduras.
Argentina to open World Cup campaign against Saudi Arabia
Two-time world champions South American team Argentina will open their campaign in Group C of the World Cup in Qatar on November 22 against Saudi Arabia. This is the fifth World Cup for Captain Lionel Messi. He would like to get the team a world title while dealing with injuries. Argentina will also face Mexico and Poland in Group C.
Sadio Mane was included in the team despite injury, had to undergo surgery
Senegal’s star player Sadio Mane was named in the World Cup squad. The team was hopeful that he would recover, but his injury is serious. Mane was stretchered off during Bayern Munich’s Bundesliga win against Werder Bremen on 8 November. Bayern confirmed that he underwent successful surgery on Thursday. Due to this he is out of the World Cup. Senegal, drawn in Group A, will face hosts Qatar, Ecuador and the Netherlands.
These key players have also been injured, five stars of world champion France
Several key players have been injured ahead of the Football World Cup to be held from 20 November to 18 December. Some of them have been dropped from the teams, while some are in doubt. Most of these include five star players from the current world champion France.
- Paul Pogba (France): Pogba had a knee injury. He had surgery in September. The 29-year-old started training but was told by his agent on 31 October that the midfielder would not play for Juventus or the world champions before the World Cup.
- N’Golo Kante (France): The Chelsea midfielder has a hamstring injury. He will be away from the game for about four months.
- Boubacar Camara (France): The Aston Villa midfielder suffered a knee injury in September. He will be out of the team till after the World Cup.
- Christopher Nkunku (France): The RB Leipzig forward was included in France’s squad for the World Cup. He was ruled out of the tournament after injuring his left knee following a shot by teammate Eduardo Kamavinga during training.
- Presnel Kimpembe (France): The Paris Saint Germain (PSG) player has decided to pull out of the World Cup due to a hamstring injury.
- Timo Werner (Germany): The RB Leipzig forward, 26, suffered an ankle injury during a 4-0 Champions League win against Shakhtar Donetsk in early November and will be ruled out for the rest of 2022.
- Marco Reus (Germany): The Borussia Dortmund captain suffered an ankle injury and failed to fully recover in time. Rees could not play in the 2014 World Cup as well. He was injured on the eve of Germany’s departure to Brazil. Germany became the champion in 2014.
- Reece James (England): The 22-year-old injured his knee in Chelsea’s Champions League match against AC Milan in October. He had said that he would not be a part of the England team.
- Ben Chilwell (England): Ben Chilwell went down with a hamstring injury during Chelsea’s Champions League win against Dinamo Zagreb and said a few days later the damage was too severe to rule him out of the World Cup.
- Dioga Jota (Portugal): The Liverpool forward will miss the tournament due to a calf injury he sustained during the win against Manchester City. However, Premier League club manager Juergen Klopp said he would not need surgery.
- Pedro Neto (Portugal): The 22-year-old Wolverhampton Wanderers winger injured his ankle during last month’s match against West Ham United. He will have surgery.
- Arthur Melo (Brazil): The Liverpool midfielder picked up a hamstring injury ahead of their Champions League tie against Rangers in October.
- Scott Kennedy (Canada): The 25-year-old defender suffered a shoulder injury late last month while playing for SSV Jahn Regensburg in Germany’s second division.
- Jesus Tequitito Corona (Mexico): The Sevilla winger suffered a fractured left ankle while training with the La Liga club in August and underwent surgery.
- Giovanni Lo Celso (Argentina): The midfielder suffered a hamstring injury while playing for Villarreal. He was described as an irreparable loss by Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni when announcing his squad.
- Yuta Nakayama (Japan) : Nakayama, who was included in Japan’s 26-man squad, suffered the injury during the match on November 2. This 25-year-old player will have to undergo surgery.
- Amin Harit (Morocco): Morocco’s Olympique de Marseille forward Amin Harit suffered a knee injury during their Ligue 1 match against AS Monaco, ruling him out of the tournament.
- Jose Gaia (Spain): On 18 November Spain made one change to their team. He brought in Alejandro Blades, who plays club football for Barcelona, as a replacement for the injured Jose Gaya.
Before the start of the FIFA World Cup, the title contenders are being hit by injuries. Till now many big players have been injured. The Argentina team, dreaming of winning the World Cup title after 36 years, suffered a major setback on Thursday when its star players Nicolas Gonzalez and Joaquin Correa were injured. Both the players are out of the World Cup. At the same time, Spain’s Jose Gaya was ruled out on Friday due to injury. In his place, Alejandro Blades, who played for Barcelona, was taken in the team.